- The only football game dedicated to real fans and real clubs
- Score in a faithful replica of your club’s home ground
- A totally immersive experience with fully accurate strips, sponsors, and chants from your team’s fans
- Create your own likeness and put yourself in the game using the powerful player editor
- Collect photos and video footage of the greatest goals from your club’s history
- Multiple game modes including: Domestic Season, European Super League, and Custom Tournaments
- Presented by famous football pundits and commentators from across Europe
Available at the time of writing in 17 different guises, Club Football is a commendable new entry into the world of console football games that proves itself to be a good deal more than the marketing gimmick it first appears.
The principles, whichever team-branded version you opt for, are inherently the same. You take the club you’ve picked through a domestic season, with the clear intention of filling up some of the empty spaces in the trophy cabinet. In doing this, you can use the game’s player generator to put yourself into the midst of this team, and then it’s down to action.
And the action is good. Backed by strong in-game graphics, Club Football offers an enjoyable rendition of the beautiful game, which endears itself to a healthy, long term challenge. There are a couple of quibbles that temper things a little. The fluidity of the gameplay, for instance, is sometimes hampered by an over-insistence on a good animation instead of a quick pass for example, and there are other mild issues that slightly break up the flow of things.
Yet considering the healthy state of the competition, with both FIFA 2004 and Pro Evolution Soccer 3 putting in strong performances, it’s to the credit of Club Football that it does enough to make it well worth considering. As it stands, it’s not the best title of its ilk on the market, but it’s a good, promising debut. —Simon Brew